Thursday 25 September 2008

Oops, I did it again

I really did. I may have mentioned the foot in mouth thing before. It got me again today.

Wandering through the shoe section of Myer to check out this latest, kind of frightening fascination with "gladiator" sandals/shoes, I came to a particularly eye catching display. Now I've seen some nasty shoes in my day but these were almost difficult to touch; they made me visibly cringe.

Another browser (of similar age to me, I suppose) appeared at the other side of the table and tilted her head from side to side, taking in the different styles. I looked at her, with a smirk and said "Ugh, hideous, aren't they?" to which she replied with nothing. Instead, she just walked around the table to where I was standing... WEARING A FUCKING PAIR!!!

Oh yes indeed. Granted, she didn't yet own them but let's be honest, she was only minutes away. I didn't even attempt to save my arse. Sometimes the hole just gets deeper.




10 comments:

Ellie said...

Classic. Well done.

But ditto on those gladiator sandals they are hideous.

Calamity Jane said...

Think of it this way - you were doing a public service. She needs to know that they are hideous so that she can make a fully informed purchasing decision.

Mothership said...

Oh but these weren't just ordinary ugly, they were a supercharged version... Nine inch chunky timber heels and wide straps going crossways halfway up the calf. She looked like someone had attacked her with masking tape.

Jodie said...

Wow, you and I would get along like a house on fire. I have the knack for asking innocent yet completely inappropriate stuff, like how someone's wife is when they just got divorced. I'm real good at it.

Superbonus said...

I didn't realise that you were a Britney Spears fan lovie!

Mothership said...

Catch UP, homeboy! SHE is a fan of MINE.

Jenn said...

They are hideous. I'm (just) in the demographic that is supposed to be buying them but I just can't. Cosmo is not selling it to me.

Mothership said...

Phew, what a relief! I was starting to think that maybe I "just don't got it" anymore. It's lovely to see that you gals share my eye for a decent shoe.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like something I'd do!

Candi

Richard said...

LOL, awesome work. I agree, you were doing a public service, she needed to know. And yes, I just don't get them either...